words :: books :: ideas

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Serve One Another

"...serve one another." - Galatians 5:13
Our service toward each other stems from love. It is "through love" that we serve (Galatians 5:13). The visual imagery of wearing a glove comes into my mind. Although I may touch something while wearing a glove, it is not actually my skin that touches the object. It is the fabric of the glove through which I touch that truly comes into contact with the object. Love should make up the fabric of the proverbial glove of service.

Serving also stems from freedom. Paul emphasizes the importance of how we use our freedom. Although we could easily use it for selfish purposes, Paul encourages the Galatians to seek loving service toward one another. We should follow Paul's example who said, "though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them" (1 Corinthians 9:19). Paul knows that he can be more effective if he uses his freedom to serve rather than be self-seeking.

So how can we serve? As Christians, we have received spiritual gifts; we are to use our gifts as a means of serving each other. Doing so shows that we are being "good stewards of God's varied grace" (1 Peter 4:10). Rather than basing service on our own ability, our serving comes "by the strength that God supplies" (1 Peter 4:11). God gives us the gifts to use and gives us the strength we need to use them. When we use our gifts to serve others, we glorify God, to whom "belong glory and dominion forever and ever" (1 Peter 4:11).

No comments: