words :: books :: ideas

Monday, April 03, 2006

Learnings from an Essay: Do Hard Things

On October 26, I downloaded the application for an essay contest. For the past several months I've been researching, writing, editing, and starting over again.
I really began in earnest last month. On Wednesday, I had it bound and mailed to Virginia.
Throughout the whole process, I've been learning. The overlying theme of what I've learned: Do Hard Things.
To be honest, writing this essay was a bit rough. I like writing, but it doesn't always come easy.
My friends over at The Rebelution gave me a challenge. They told me to "Do Hard Things." I cannot recount the numerous times I repeated those three words to myself. I put quite a few hours into my essay, many of which I'd have rather spent reading a book. But then I'd remember what they'd said and--gritting my teeth--get back to work.
The Rebelution also encouraged me to settle for okay, but to do my best. Ecclesiastes 9:10 says, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might..."
I'm sure that if I read it again, I'd find more things to fix in my paper [I haven't read it since Wednesday for that precise reason], but I'm satisfied that I worked hard and sent my essay on time.

No comments: