words :: books :: ideas

Monday, May 01, 2006

Learnings from an Essay: A Merry Heart

"As cold water to a weary soul, So is good news from a far country," says Proverbs 25:25. Do you think that Virginia is far enough away to count, even if it isn't a different country? I certainly received some good news.
When I got home from biology last Thursday there was an envelope waiting for me. An envelope from the NRA. A large one. The first sentence consisted of one word: Congratulations!
"The light of the eyes rejoices the heart, And a good report makes the bones healthy" (Prov. 15:30). [Funny--we were talking about bones at biology that day.]
Before that lovely letter, I kept thinking, 'What if I don't win? How will I react?' I know I would have been disappointed, and doubtlessly I would not have enjoyed telling the people who knew about the contest that I didn't win. I'm glad that God wanted to teach me about winning this time. I'll most likely have many more opportunities to learn about losing.
In June I'm going to Washington D.C. My first time out of this time zone. When I think about it, my stomach flips, part of me goes numb, and my heart beats faster.
"A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance..." and "...he who is of a merry heart has a continual feast" (Prov. 15:13, 15). I suppose that accounts for the grin, although I'm thinking dinner should come soon.

No comments: