words :: books :: ideas

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Happy Mother's Day, Mom

“Her children rise up and call her blessed…” (Proverbs 31:28).
Mother’s Day was over two weeks ago, but I appreciate my mom more now than I did then.
On Sunday, May 13, my grandma fell approximately 9 feet from her front porch. She landed on her head and broke her neck, back, and sternum. Miraculously, her spinal cord was not injured, so she will heal without being paralyzed.
Grandma stayed in the hospital for several days. For the past 11 or so days, however, my mom has been living at Grandma’s house to take care of her.
Being the oldest unemployed child, I have had to take over much of the cleaning, cooking, dish washing, and other odd jobs. This time has certainly made me more thankful for my mom [and that I am not a mom yet]. We eat really often. Seven mouths equates to many, many dishes.
“Honor your father and your mother…” (Deuteronomy 5:16). She certainly deserves it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can relate--my parents left for a week last week, so I was in charge of pretty much everything, just like you-- cleaning, laundry, cooking,...yes, if you're doing all the cooking, you do realize how often people eat! =) And my, how the dishes pile up!! =) Praise God for our mothers!!