words :: books :: ideas

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Delight of Another

Last week I attended Worldview Academy. One of the major concepts that I brought home with me is that of love. According to Dell Cook, whereas lust is "delighting oneself in one’s own delight," love is "delighting oneself in the delight of another."
Love "does not seek its own" (1 Corinthians 13:5).
Lust is selfish. Love is selfless. "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit," writes Paul, "but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others" (Philippians 2:3-4).
As I have been contemplating this definition of love for the past several days, I ask myself: What can I be doing that will delight others? How can I gain delight from their delight?

1 comment:

Hannah said...

That is a truly revolutionary view of love. I will be pondering that for a while too...