words :: books :: ideas

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Grace, Burdens, and Joy

“…God has given me grace for each day, and He has given much of happiness, too. He never makes the burden too heavy, and He has taught me the meaning of real joy. It is something that goes deep into the heart and has nothing to do with outside circumstances.”

- Not My Will by Francena H. Arnold

Three points for consideration
1 – God gives grace for each day
2 – He never makes the burden too heavy
3 – Real joy has nothing to do with outside circumstances


1 – God gives grace for each day

The apostle Paul writes that his “thorn in the flesh” was given to him that he should not be exalted and God’s grace should be manifested
2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

God provides grace to the upright
Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and a shield;
The LORD will give grace and glory;
No good thing will He withhold
From those who walk uprightly.

2 – He never makes the burden too heavy

God sustains those who cast their burden on Him

Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD,
And He shall sustain you;
He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.

To those who have a heavy burden, He promises rest
Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

3 – Real joy has nothing to do with outside circumstances


We are told to be joyful at all times
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say rejoice!


True joy does not depend on what happens
Ecclesiastes 7:14 In the day of prosperity be joyful,
But in the day of adversity consider:
Surely God has appointed the one as well as the other,
So that man can find out nothing that will come after him.


Our Father not only supplies grace, but He offers sustenance and rest to those carrying a heavy burden. It doesn’t matter what is happening in our lives, we can always have authentic joy.

No comments: