words :: books :: ideas

Friday, November 09, 2007

Rake Balancing

The two large trees that obscure our house from the street produce many, many leaves. In the fall, these leaves invariably fall to the ground [maybe that's why it's called fall?]. Every few days throughout this season, these leaves must be raked into piles before being 'vacuumed' by the lawnmower to compost.
Personally, I don't particularly enjoy raking. It's all right, but I'd rather walk around balancing the rake upside-down on my hand.
Whenever I do this, I'm reminded of Colossians 3:2, "Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth."
When I stare at the handle of the rake, resting in my palm, I can keep it balanced for about three seconds. When, however, I watch the tongs of the rake wobbling slightly in the air, I can dance around adjusting the position of my hand to keep the rake upright much longer. With comparative ease, I make it hop from hand to hand or finger to finger.
As long as I keep my eyes heavenward, the rake stays balanced, but when my eyes drop to myself, the rake crashes to the ground.

1 comment:

emelina said...

I love raking. It's kind of like vacuuming. Also, I have a suggestion if you ever need to update your profile. Here's a quote about you from AG [re christmas] "Hannah is so hard to shop for. All she likes are weapons and books!"
Maybe it could be a new favorite quote or "about me" on facebook?