words :: books :: ideas

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Everything

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might..." (Ecclesiastes 9:10a)
After church I like to assist with clean-up. Often I help fold up the wooden tables and carry them to where they belong. I've been doing it for several years now, but they're still heavy and it can be difficult. That's exactly why I enjoy doing it. I like to exert my energy and be challenged physically. [plus, I must admit, it is fun to show off a little.] Usually, I'm sore the next day, but I like that part too. The soreness reminds me that I accomplished something hard and used all my might. [read this remarkably excellent post on 'doing hard things.']
We're not just to do things with all our might though, looking further, we're supposed to do all for the glory of God. All. Not just some stuff sometimes.
Teach me, my God and King,
In all things thee to see,
And what I do in any thing,
To do it as for thee.
(from The Elixir by George Herbert)
Occasionally, when I wake up in the morning, I make my bed and get up specifically for the glory of God. It's surprising how much harder you will work at something if you do it for Him.
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks to God the Father through Him." -Colossians 3:17
Later in verses 22-23, Paul instructs bondservants to obey "...in sincerity of heart, fearing God. And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men."
I looked up the word 'heartily' in a couple of dictionaries to get a better idea of exactly what the word means. [A difficult task for a girl who gets lost in dictionaries; I could spend an hour reading one and never get to the word I for which I was originally searching.] Some of the words I found related to 'heartily' include 'sincerely,' 'thoroughly,' and 'vigorously.' So we're supposed to do all that we do in a sincere, thorough, and vigorous manner--not for ourselves or even just those around us, but "as to the Lord."
Do difficult things heartily for Him.
"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)

No comments: