words :: books :: ideas

Monday, October 10, 2005

Words and Meditations

[I wrote, memorized, and presented this for an assignment in speech last year.]

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.

Although this was originally what David wrote, I want to make this verse my own prayer. It has been a great encouragement for me to remember what this says.
I need to talk only of what God wants. It’s not critical that I talk about the things of this world. They will not last, they are all frivolous. The things of God will be forever.
I shouldn’t think only of myself and only of what I like, but what God wants me to think of and what He likes. I need to ask myself: “Would I be ashamed to say my thoughts aloud?”
I must remember that God is listening not only to the words that I speak; He knows what is in my heart. I want to have both my words and my thoughts pleasing to Him.

Moreover, this verse helps me to recall that I always need to turn to God for my strength; I can’t sustain myself, only He can be my help in times of trouble. He is the Rock that I can always turn to; He will always be there for me.
In addition, it reminds me that He is my Redeemer; He has given Himself to free me from the bondage of sin. He paid the highest price possible for me. I belong to Him and Him only.
I need to remember that God will always be there to uphold me and that He loves me.

This year, and especially in speech I want to please God with all I do, with my thoughts, with my words, with my actions. Whether I get the first place in a tournament, or the last I know that God is in control, He is there to help me. I know that God is sovereign; He has the best possible plan in mind.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I can't read the font because its too small. :(
I love your blog, though, and I'll definitely be visiting again!

hanananah said...

I'm glad you've enjoyed what I've written. And you can change the font size by going to 'view' at the top of your browser and clicking on 'text size.' :)