words :: books :: ideas

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Free from sin

I often need to remind myself that when I repent of my sin, God actually forgives it all the way. It's so easy for me to forget and feel bad about myself.
As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
-Psalm 103:12
Although north and south meet, you can go west forever and never reach east, and you can go east forever and never reach west. That's one heck of a long way. And that's how far repented-of-sin is removed from you. Another one of those things too big for me to comprehend.
In Total Health by Susan Boe, the author writes, 'God is faithful to forgive you of your mistakes if you confess them to Him. Saying "I'm sorry," and "please forgive me," are some of the hardest words to say. But when you release that burden, God forgives you and never brings it up again.'
It's true, Wendy, 'never is an awfully long time.'
The psalmist writes, "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no deceit." (Ps. 32:1-2) and later in verse five, "I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,' And You forgave the iniquity of my sin." Confessing sin is so much better than letting it be. I've had some experience.
God is willing to forgive. "For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You." (Ps. 86:5)
There's a beauty in knowing that you are completely forgiven.
"...the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin." (1 John 1:7)

No comments: